Saturday, July 14, 2012

Lucky # 13 with sketches!







So here we have the super cool episode # 13 and the sketches that we have been talking about for a while now are here for your viewing pleasure! 

The sweet sweet episode can be found HERE! Enjoy.

I think most of the sketch work is pretty self explanatory but I will string together a couple of words to point out a few things. As we started thinking about a comic based around anthropomorphic animals specifically rats, I knew the first thing I had to do was recognize and then try to avoid the art styles in Mouse Guard and the Mice Templar. David Peterson on Mouse Guard has a very specific look for his mice as they look basically like real mice with clothing and items. Michael Avon Oeming did a much more humanoid version his mice and rats. Both books have a amazing art but gave me the worry of not wanting to be an imitator. My style seems to have leaned a lot closer to the Oeming version of a more humanized animal though I think I am keeping it slightly more animal like than Oeming did so hopefully I'll end up with something great that is influenced but not duplicating anything that has gone before in these 2 books. 

The bottom picture is my first full drawing of what I believe our main rat characters will look like. As I go through more sketches it might change, hopefully for the better if that happens, but this is my actual starting point. Here we go now...onward ratlike soldiers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment